Giving a Role to a SUNet User Who Has Never Logged In
These are instructions for giving a role to a SUNet user who has not yet logged in and so doesn't have an account on the site yet. (I have tried to make them very detailed so they may be useful to many different levels of technical comfort.)
For WebAuth module 3.x or later
- Go to Workgroup Manager (http://workgroup.stanford.edu)
- Create a workgroup (or use an existing workgroup)
- Add the relevant SUNet person/people to the workgroup
- In the Drupal site, go to the role mapping section of WebAuth configuration
- In Drupal 7: Administration menu -> Configuration -> WebAuth -> Role mappings
- Select the relevant Drupal role under "DRUPAL ROLE"
- Enter the full workgroup name (e.g., "mydept:web-team") under "WORKGROUP"
- Click the "Add Mapping" link
Thereafter, any time someone logs in with a SUNet ID of a person in that workgroup, that SUNet User will be assigned the corresponding Drupal role (whether or not they've ever logged in before)
For earlier versions WebAuth module
- Go to Administer -> User management -> Users and click on the "Add user" tab.
- For "Username", enter the user's Stanford email address (that goes with their SUNet ID), e.g., email@example.com
- For "E-mail address", enter the user's Stanford email address (that goes with their SUNet ID), e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org (so Username and E-mail address are the same)
- For "Password", etc, enter whatever you want -- it won't matter as WebAuth will ignore it.
- "Status" should already be "Active"
- For "Roles", select "SUNet User" (only -- do not add any other roles yet)
- Optional: If using the Organic Groups module, you may subscribe the user to a group at this point.
- Then click "Create new account"
- Click on the "List" tab, then click on "edit" for the user you just added (they should appear at the top of the list)
- Add the additional roles for this user (e.g., Editor, Web Master, Committee Member, whatever).
Then, when the person logs in for the first time using WebAuth, they will already have those roles and access to whatever those roles give them access to.