Meeting March 12, 2009:
* Meyer Tech Desk and Multimedia Studio Manager
* Teaches CS2C: Multimedia Production (GarageBand, Photoshop, iMovie/FCP, iDVD)
* Wiki at http:/meyer.stanford.edu
* Drop-in computer lab with image, audio, video editing support
* Demographic: Students, staff, and faculty. Everyone from 1st time users to very experienced users.
* Free overnight checkout of camcorders (including Canon HV30), external hard drives, Macbooks, AV cables, etc, with SUID card.
** Supplies are limited: Currently 5 HV30s, 20 SD camcorders, 10 Macbooks.
* Influx of students from Stanford Film Society and Journalism
* If you remember nothing else: HDV native capture, Compressor workflow: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2410
* Many of these specs also apply to earlier HV20
* Func:Menu:Rec/In Setup: HD Standard:
** HDV (60i)
** HDV30 (30p)
** HDV24 (24p)
* Cine Mode optional (gamma adjust + ?)
* Remember that HDV records as 1440x1080.
** Scales to 1920x1080 square pixels later.
* Data rates:
|HDV||720p30||19.2||8||Very few consumer HDV camcorders record to tape as 720p30.|
|HDV||1080i30||25||11||Most common recording format for HDV camcorders.|
|ProRes||1080p24||117||53||"Film Look" that this presentation will focus on.|
|ProRes||1080p30||147||66||Most typical conversion format prior to editing.|
|8-bit 4:2:2||1080p30||994||437 (!!)||Thank goodness for ProRes!|
Q: Any direct to DVD cameras at Meyer?
A: No, we're pretty entrenched in miniDV.
Q: Do you use miniDV decks in workflow?
A: No. Consumer camcorders are cheaper than decks. For our users, even when we had the option to use decks, they generally used the camcorder anyway.
Q: Does Meyer carry digital still cameras?
A: No. We try to provide equipment the typical user is not likely to already have access to.
Q: How do you conform HD footage to SD?
A: Letterbox or else crop to 4:3 aspect ratio.
Q: Is USB 2.0 or FireWire 400 better for video editing?
A: USB 2.0 transfers 480 Mbps and FireWire 400 transfers at 400 Mbps theoretically, but most people agree that FW is just faster. FW 800 is even better...
Q: How many people are teaching video production / post-production classes on campus?
A: Good question! We should get together and pool resources, compare notes.
Q: Ideas for future VMG events?
A: capture cards (hdmi) and demo the new Mac Pro